Thanks for following along with the Month of Sundays Drop Cap Project! For our eighth round:
Creating the Letter
Today’s drop cap is a little more complex and may require a more intermediate skill level in Illustrator. But the process is fun and rewarding, and you’re welcome to jump in!
- Adobe Illustrator (CS4+) and the Sunday Best Complete Family
- Intermediate knowledge of Illustrator
- Sunday Best Ornaments and Frames (this came with Sunday Best as an Illustrator file)
- Create a new document in Adobe Illustrator.
- Using the type tool, create your letter. Choose a color and make the font Sunday Best Fancy Artisan.
- Create the frame: Open up the Sunday Best Ornaments and Frames Illustrator file that came with Sunday Best. Find these ornaments to create your frame:
- Place the centered ornament on the top of your letter. Duplicate it, and rotate it 180 degrees, then place the rotated one at the bottom of the letter.
- Bring the two side ornaments together and draw a little circle in the center. Group these three elements together in your layer palette, then rotate it 90 degrees. Place the group on one side of the letter, then rotate it 180 degrees and place it on the other side of the letter.
- Next, draw a centered rectangle that frames your letter, touching the embellishments: Using the pen tool, create points on the frame “on top of” each embellishment, then delete the parts of the frame you don’t need, creating this effect:
- Great job!
Thanks for following along! If you want, you can download the drop cap as a high-resolution PNG file. Sunday Best will be on sale on Etsy for a limited time! Enter coupon code SUNDAYBEST65 at checkout until August 1, 2014 to purchase Sunday Best for 65% off.
You can also check out Sunday Best on Creative Market, $25 until May 1, 2014.